Thursday, May 14, 2009

Gardening in Arizona?!?!??!

Yup, I have ventured into growing vegetables for the first time since I have been married. I love to garden, and plant flowers, so I finally bit the bullet and planted tomatoes, squash, and carrots. I decided that even if I failed that I would do so having fun playing in the dirt. Well, the pictures are worth a thousand words....my garden is flourishing! My squash has taken over, and it is covering my poor carrots, but my carrots are survivors and they will make it! They are buried under the huge squash leaves, so you can't see the little guys right now. I planted the tomatoes (Roma tomatoes on the left, and in the pot is a regular tomato variety) and squash from plants, and the carrots I planted from seeds.
During Spring Break, I decided to not only plant some veggies, but I wanted to surprise Chris while he was away on business and build a garden! I chose the perfect spot. I cleared the rocks away in the corner of our yard that has a purple plum next to it. Put down the concrete borders all by myself, prepared the soil (Yes, I used organic soil, but I did add Miracle Grow...how awful!) and gingerly planted my lovely plants and seeds. I even made a blueprint, and measure the garden out! Chris was not as thrilled as I thought he would be, but he was impressed with my garden building skills none-the-less.It is not a big garden, but it is just the right size for the three veggies I decided to grow. I also threw in a tomato plant that can be grown in a container for some experimentation. I never thought that my squash would extend the little garden area sooooo much! One shoot is beyond the tree to the right of the picture, and I don't think it is done growing!
Almost every other day I wake up to find another squash bloom opening, and I love the contrast in color, and the potential for yet another squash. Seriously, those squash leaves are bigger than my head!
The heat has not posed a serious threat to my garden yet, hopefully this continues! Otherwise, you may have a very depressed Melissa on your hands. I am excited that I finally got off my duff and did something I have been wanting to do for years. I love my backyard, it is my sanctuary, and adding the veggie garden has made it even more so.

No comments:

Post a Comment